<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, February 08, 2009

Being a Pacemate a Positive Influence 

Posted by James at 8:00 AM ET

From NBA.com

PacematesHi everyone, my name is Bethany and this is my second year as an Indiana Pacemate. People ask me all the time if I like my job and, to be honest, I absolutely love it!

Last year was my first time being a member of the squad, so it was definitely as much of a learning process as it was having fun and dancing. I ended up having to leave the team early last season for personal reasons and it put such a damper on my life, I knew I had to audition again this year!

Being one of the Pacemates has been such a positive influence on my life in very powerful ways. It combines my love and passion of dance with the philanthropic side of brightening up others' lives as well. One of my favorite parts of my job is meeting all of the fans and getting to embrace the individuality of everyone around me.

How I decided to become a Pacemate is kind of funny to me actually. I remember back to when I was 13 years old, I won a dance contest and the prize was three tickets to the Britney Spears concert at Conseco Fieldhouse that weekend. As I was sitting in the arena, lost in the music and mesmerized by the dancing, I knew that I wanted to be a performer. I wanted to dance in front of hundreds, thousands, and possibly millions of people! I achieved my goal after six years of hard work and training.

I also know that I could not have made it this far without some very special people in my life. First and foremost, I thank God for giving me the gifts and opportunities needed to fulfill my life's dream. Thanks to my friends, my loving fiancé, and my family for coming to the games to support what I do, even if it's a long drive there and back! I also want to thank my coaches from middle school and high school because they taught me so much about dance and about life. Without their love and support, I would never be the dancer I am today!

Labels: ,