<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, November 28, 2008

Jets Flight Crew Diary: Bianca 

Posted by Sasha at 7:25 PM ET

Bianca: A Season of Pride and Passion
November 18, 2008
New York Jets
[Bianca Photos]

‘Tis the season to be a Jets fan!

Let me tell you, guys, it has been one hell of a ride so far. Being a part of the Flight Crew and a football team that I grew up rooting for has been an unbelievable experience in itself. Then add the fact that the Jets are in first place in their division, and I can’t really ask for much more.

I feel proud and honored to represent this team during such an amazing time. But what truly makes my adventure with the Jets so thrilling is not only being a part of such a great organization but to be able to do what I love most in life while doing so: Dance.

I was dancing as soon as I could walk. I have home videos of myself from a time before I was even fully comfortable standing on two feet, bopping around and grooving to my mom’s Michael Jackson records. I practically lived at my dance school growing up. There was not a dance or performance-related club all throughout grade school and college that I wasn’t a member of or a captain for. I could never get enough. To call dance my passion is an understatement. It is my love, my outlet, and a true addiction.

As I started getting older I realized that although it would be nice, the chance of making a career out of dance was not likely, nor a smart option to rely on. Being into dance for so many years gave me a huge appreciation for the human body and its functions, so I decided to turn my focus onto Exercise Physiology and Health Sciences once I got to college at Hofstra University.

School quickly took over, and for the first year I stopped dancing altogether. I really focused on starting off on the right foot in college, getting good grades, and setting my career goals. I got really into fitness and anatomy, so I began personal training, teaching fitness classes, and eventually decided I would ultimately pursue a degree in Physical Therapy.

As much as I loved what I was doing and as exciting as it was to have figured out what I wanted to do with my life, I was miserable and I didn’t know why. I knew I liked what I was doing and all the choices I was making for myself seemed to be the right ones. But for some reason, I felt out of touch with myself. The days felt mundane, boring, and seemed to lack a sense of purpose.

One summer halfway through college, I started taking dance classes in New York City and very quickly realized what had been lacking in my life. I had forgotten what it felt like to dance. As if rekindling with an old best friend, I felt more in tune to myself than ever. I felt alive. It then hit me how important it is to keep dance in my life in one way or another.

I proceeded to join extracurricular dance teams and clubs. I started choreographing and teaching in dance schools, which opened up a whole new creative outlet. I only committed to as much as my school schedule would allow at a time, but any dancing was enough for me.

Getting back in touch with my passion is what led me to where I am now. I made a promise to myself to always keep dance an active and present part of my everyday life. This promise drove me to work as hard as I can in my free time, hone my craft, and eventually brought me to the Flight Crew auditions last May, where I landed one of the coveted 22 spots.

Still, it is not my main focus. I graduated from Hofstra in May. I am now still doing fitness training and am working as a Physical Therapist Aide in a clinic on Long Island, and am accumulating prerequisites that will allow me to eventually enroll in a Physical Therapy Doctoral program. I am enthusiastic about my future and feel like I have really found my niche, but only by way of keeping my passion alive and being true to who I am and what I love to do.

It is so easy to mindlessly let life take its own course by giving into a bland day-in-and-day-out lifestyle. We become slaves to what WE THINK is the best we’re going to get out of this life. Each day feels the same and time seems to go by quicker and quicker.

I can’t stress how important it is to take a few minutes out of each day and do something for YOU! Reconnect with a passion or hobby you have, no matter how big or small, and treat yourself to doing something you really love. It may not be the biggest choice you will make in your life, but boy, it will make it that much sweeter. Follow your heart and do what you love because life is too short to do anything else.

Thanks for reading. Your continued loyalty and energy is not only appreciated but adored. It is a pleasure dancing for you. Thank you for letting me do what I love! See ya out on the field!

Much Love,

Bianca

Labels: , ,