<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Colts Beat The Bolts – NFL Week #12 

Posted by David Allen Tyau at 11:30 AM ET

Last week, I was on vacation in San Francisco covering the 49ers Gold Rush, the Charger Girls sister organization managed by E2K. Now, I’m back at my normal gig covering my beloved Charger Girls. And this week, the Chargers hosted the Indianapolis Colts before another Sunday Night Football audience. Two years ago, the Indianapolis Colts were the Super Bowl Champions. Last year, the Chargers played in the AFC Championship game. This year, both teams are desperate for a win to keep their fading playoff hopes alive. What a difference a year makes.


In the past, when the Colts played the Chargers, the expectation was for an offensive shootout. But this year, both teams are a shell of their former selves, uncharacteristically “in offensive”, if you catch my meaning. There is something lacking in the Colts passing attack and the Charger’s running game is absolutely anemic. So, this game had lost some of the luster since the schedules were announced in April. But, a “walk off” field goal by the Colts Adam Vinatieri capped an exciting fourth quarter to put some of the shine back on the game. The Colts prevailed over the Bolts, 23 – 20.


Now, people who have read my past articles know my feelings regarding night games. Though they may be more exciting than a typical day game because of all the hubbub of a national television audience, it kind of sucks photographing the beautiful Charger Girls in darkness. It’s not exactly ideal shooting conditions. And to complicate matters, it was a tad chilly by California standards.


So, with an evening game and temperatures expected to be in the upper 50’s at game’s end, how do these courageous Charger Girls stay warm in their skimpy uniforms? I asked Line Captain Summer precisely that and her answer was two pairs of tights, gloves for the hands, and a lot of jumping around. Okay, I added that last part for emphasis. Me? I used these chemical hand warmers all over my body. Yeah, I’m wimpy like that, but a photographer’s got to do what a photographer’s got to do to get the shot. And here’s what I got.


San Diego Charger Girls

San Diego Charger Girls

San Diego Charger Girls


And let’s start our parade of absolutely fabulous Charger Girls with the Line Captains, Constance, Katrina, Rebecca and Summer.


San Diego Charger Girls

San Diego Charger Girls

San Diego Charger Girls

San Diego Charger Girls


This week’s Charger Girl of the Day was a difficult choice to make as there were several outstanding images to choose from. Here are the honorable mentions for this week: Jennifer, Breann, Kylette, Gail and Jacquelyn.


San Diego Charger Girls

San Diego Charger Girls

San Diego Charger Girls

San Diego Charger Girls

San Diego Charger Girls


However, the one girl stood out above all and this week’s Charger Girl of the Day is…Line Captain Summer, a fifth year member of the Charger Girls.


San Diego Charger Girls


Now, I got a chance to talk to some of the Charger Girls at the Bud Light Power Party, where they were signing autographs. Kylette, one of my favorite CGs to photograph, remembered that I don’t usually stick around for the much of fourth quarter (wife works in healthcare, gets up very early, night games bad, long drive home, etc.). I reassured her that today, I would be staying for the whole game to photograph the entire squad. So, while staring into Kylette’s beautiful brown eyes, which sparkled with the enthusiasm of youth, I could not help but feel a bit old. You see, I know the girls get to Qualcomm around five hours before kickoff to do a final rehearsal, get all dolled up and to sign autographs for the fans. It’s a long day for them and here was Kylette and the other CGs, enthusiastic and full of energy, already well into their game day routine. Heck, the only thing I had done was drive down from L.A. and that one thing made me tired. Of course, I could still be recovering from my recent trip to San Francisco (too much fun!), but in all honesty I’m just getting old…and watching these vivacious young girls, so excited to meet their adoring fans made me feel that much more so…gee thanks. I’m a Geezer at 46.


But I digress. Let’s enjoy a few photographs of the youthful Kylette and her equally youthful cohort Breann (some more photos for your mom!).


San Diego Charger Girls

San Diego Charger Girls

San Diego Charger Girls

San Diego Charger Girls


And in actuality, there’s a whole squad of youthful and enthusiastic Charger Girls. Here’s Ashley, Brittany, Jacquelyn, Jenny, Lindsay, and Marisa being young and beautiful.


San Diego Charger Girls

San Diego Charger Girls

San Diego Charger Girls

San Diego Charger Girls

San Diego Charger Girls

San Diego Charger Girls


Gail, Heather, Jill Ann, Michelle, Ashlie and Marlina try to stay warm and motivated, hoping against hope that the Chargers don’t choke away their playoff hopes by losing to the Colts. No such luck.


San Diego Charger Girls

San Diego Charger Girls

San Diego Charger Girls

San Diego Charger Girls

San Diego Charger Girls

San Diego Charger Girls

San Diego Charger Girls


Tamara, Katrina, Kortney, and Summer add a bit color and excitement to the brisk Autumn evening’s festivities.


San Diego Charger Girls

San Diego Charger Girls

San Diego Charger Girls

San Diego Charger Girls


And let’s complete this week’s parade of Charger Girls with a few photographs of Carissa and Nicole M.


San Diego Charger Girls

San Diego Charger Girls

San Diego Charger Girls

San Diego Charger Girls


And finally, I spotted one of all time my favorite Charger Girls from year’s past, Ashley W., who was working the sidelines. She’s looking quite attractive in a white pea coat, though I think she would look better in a 2008 Charger Girl uniform…that’s just my personal opinion. I’ll be quiet now.


San Diego Charger Girls


Due to a quirk in the Charger’s schedule, we actually have a day game next week against the Atlanta Falcons. Yea! Sunshine, at long last. And if the Chargers wish to keep their faint playoff hopes alive, they better take care of business against the resurgent Falcons. Ironically, in the weak AFC West being 4 – 7 means you are in second place in the division and only two games out of first place. We’ll see what happens, but losing is getting kind of old.

Labels: ,