Sunday, October 19, 2008

Wolfson Hospital's ROAR Cheerleader 

Posted by James at 8:00 AM ET

From Florida Mom magazine:

Phillipa, Jacksonville ROAR

So, you're a Jaguar Cheerleader? How did all of that come about?

My becoming a cheerleader is one of those childhood dreams. I was a cheerleader in junior high and high school. I didn’t cheer in college, but when I graduated and was coming home to Jacksonville, I heard that there was an NFL team coming here. I came on in 1996 and have cheered ever since. I am a 12-year veteran. I did take a year off in 2003 to have my son and then came back the following year.

How has being a Jacksonville Jaguars ROAR Cheerleader affected your life?

I don’t know that it has affected my life as much as it is an addition to my life. It’s something that I do in my spare time that’s for me. It gives me an extracurricular activity for support and is my outlet. As far as affecting my life, it’s a lot of time that you miss from home. You miss a lot of time away from your family for practices and games. But, my husband is so supportive. He comes to the games every Sunday and my mom watches my son during the games.

Involvement in the community with the ROAR?

We are required to do at least 10 charity appearances per season year, but I think we all do way far beyond that. I feel that the charity appearances are the best. You get to get out in the community and meet your fans. It’s more meaningful. It’s been a great opportunity to see the different community projects that are out there and meet different organizations in the community. It’s been great.

How do you balance cheerleading practice and motherhood?

I have a very good calendar and planner. It works well. What makes it work is that I have a very good support system. I drop my son to and from school and I’m at work during those hours. Then I drop him off to my husband. We meet sometimes and it could be at the stadium parking lot or at home where we do the exchange and pass him on. Then, we just go from there and I go to practice. We practice two nights a week from 7-10 p.m. or early Saturday morning from 7:45-10:45 a.m.

What are some of your future goals?

Last year I finished my dual Master’s degree in nursing administration and business administration from Jacksonville University. I completed that last year and am proud of myself. I want to continue in the nursing administration field. Who inspires you?

My mom and now my son – I want to be a good role model for him.

You look great, what's your secret?

I eat healthy. I don’t believe there is such a thing as dieting. It’s a lifestyle change that I adopted years ago. I do allow myself sweets on the weekends. It’s just a lifestyle and the way I eat balanced meals. I don’t starve myself. I also like to run in my spare time.

[Jacksonville ROAR]

Labels: ,