Monday, September 01, 2008

Family Ties on DCC 

Posted by Sasha at 8:53 AM ET

by Trisha Trevino
August 29, 2008

The butterflies swarm in your stomach endlessly. You feel anxious, nervous, and excited all at the same time. You look around at all the beautiful and talented girls that fill the room, and realize you are going up against a great deal of competition. Then, after tryouts are over, you pray until your name is announced so you can run up to the front of the room, and claim your spot on the squad. Now imagine those feelings and emotions and multiply them by two. That is how I felt the day my sister tried out to be a Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader this year.

My younger sister Crystal, who is 22 years old, is my best friend. We have always done everything together ever since I can remember. My mom used to dress us alike, and people always thought we were twins even though we are actually 15 months apart. We were joined at the hip, and any time someone tried to hurt her feelings, I would stand up for her and protect her. She would do the same for me. We started taking dance classes together when I was 10 and she was 8. Then in high school, we were in drill team together when I was a senior and she was a sophomore. We were both lieutenants for 2 years. One year into my college career, I tried out to be a NBA dancer and made the team. Crystal tried out the next year and we were on that team together for a year.

We always just happen to do the same things, because we have always had the same interests. We both love to dance, perform, be part of a team, and meet new people. If she was 15 months older than me, she would probably be doing all these things first, and I would be the one following in her footsteps. Crystal has never done anything just because I did it. She has always said she wants to do what she wants to do, not just because I was doing it. Crystal does everything when she is ready. She stands by her word to this day.

This year I tried out to hopefully become a 4th year veteran as a Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader. So far, I have had three amazing years as a DCC. I was on the Show Group and had the honor to visit the troops in Iraq, Kuwait, and Korea. Furthermore, being able to dance and perform at Texas Stadium has been a living dream. The excitement of the games is incredible, and being able to do what I love to do is a blessing. I am so thankful, and I want more than anything for my sister to experience the opportunities that the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders have given me.

I have been asking Crystal to try out for the DCC for the past 2 years and when she finally decided that this was the year for her to audition, I was ecstatic! Finally! I was so excited! As the day of preliminaries approached, Crystal began preparing. She glued rhinestones onto her audition outfit, stretched her hamstrings, and asked me for some advice. I knew she would do great at tryouts because she is an amazing dancer, awesome performer, extremely beautiful, and has a genuine heart. I am not just saying that, I really mean it.

Anyway, on the day of preliminaries, I all of sudden became sooooooo nervous! Why was I so nervous? I texted Crystal's phone like a million times to ask her how the tryouts were going. After the day was over, I met her at TX Stadium where they brought out a big board with a list of numbers of the girls that made it to the next round, which was Semi-finals. Crystal and I spotted her number right away and we were so excited and relieved at the same time. I thought Crystal would make it past that round, but you never know what is going to happen until it actually happens.

She attended semi-finals that took place the very next day, where the girls learned a kick line, jazz routine, and hip-hop routine. After they performed for the judges, they announced the finalists and Crystal made it into finals! I was very proud of her. In two weeks she would be trying out with the DCC Veterans, which included me. One question people have always asked me is this, "Are you and Crystal competitive?" I can honestly say we are NOT competitive. I guess at finals we were competing "technically," but we do not take it personally. We have always supported one another in everything.

The day of DCC finals finally arrived. There were about 88 girls and only 45 would be chosen to attend training camp. I was so nervous for myself and Crystal! You would think that after going through DCC tryouts for the past 3 years that the nerves would go away, but surprisingly, they don't! We began with solos. Crystal was #12 and I was number #83. When it was her turn to do her solo, the music started right away and she didn't hear the beginning of the music. She missed her cue! I watched her practice her solo all week so I knew something was wrong when she didn't start dancing. I tried to yell out, "She didn't hear the music!" When the judges realized this, they restarted it. Thank goodness! She nailed her solo. She did an awesome job and I loved watching her dance. After we did our solos, we took a test. We reviewed football knowledge, current events, and referee signals. We had also studied for a couple of hours the night before. After we took the test, we had to perform the kick line, jazz routine, and hip-hop routine in small groups. I thought Crystal did a great job entertaining the judges and her performance was awesome! After all the groups had danced, we had nothing to do but wait and hope for the best possible outcome. I felt that we both had a good audition and I prayed that we would both make it into training camp.

Finally, after about 3 hours, the judges came back into the room where we were waiting and asked us to sit in our seats. Kelli Finglass, Judy Trammell, and Charlotte Anderson came in to announce the 45 girls that would make up the 2008 DCC Training Camp. I cannot even describe the nerves we felt when we sat in our chairs with all the other girls that tried out, just hoping and waiting for Kelli to call our names. She began calling out the names. When she called my name, my stress and nerves were cut in half. Then I just waited and hoped for them to call Crystal's name. Probably after about 10 more girls were called out, Kelli said, "Welcome to Training Camp #12 Crystal Trevino." Whew! What a relief! I was so excited! I hugged Crystal and wore a huge smile on my face for a really long time. I couldn't believe we were about to enter training camp together. I thought to myself, "This is going to be amazing."

Labels: , , , ,