<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Dancer Needs Votes to Get on Raptors Team 

Posted by James at 3:15 PM ET

By Janis Ramsay
Barrie Advance
Brittany Basner needs Raptors fans to put their hands to work and vote her into the final spot as a team dancer.

She auditioned for the Irish Spring Raptors Dance Pak back in July. Out of 85 girls, the competition has been narrowed down to five.

Fans will decide who gets the final spot, by voting online.

“If I won, it would fulfill a lifelong dream. I’ve wanted to be a performer and to be at the Air Canada Centre would be amazing,” said Basner.

Briitany


She has been a dancer for 13 years, most recently at the Paris Academy of Dance, but put that aside two years ago to go to Georgian College, for its hospitality management program.

“I didn’t think I could do this as a career, that’s why I put school first. It was my backup plan.”

Her sister told her about the Raptors auditions just days before it started.

“I was teaching dance, but hadn’t danced myself for a few years. I felt nervous about my ability at first.”

The first tryout was July 27, and Basner learned she was good enough to get the final spot on the team. If she wins, she’ll dance at every home game and make appearances at charity events.

The first Raptors home game is Oct. 31.

“The rest of the girls on the team have already started learning the routine. Whoever makes (the last spot) has to jump in and catch up.”

Voting wraps up Monday, Sept. 8. Fans can click the link provided and vote once a day.

If she wins, Basner said it would boost her confidence and give her the drive to continue with her dancing career. She’d move to Toronto and be dedicated to the job, which only lasts for one season.

Cast your vote at Raptors.com

Labels: , ,