<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, August 11, 2008

Da Boys Are Back In Town – NFL Preseason Week 1 

Posted by David Allen Tyau at 3:29 PM ET

Ah! Football is back, albeit the preseason type. Now if you’ve been reading my articles in the past, you know how I feel about NFL preseason football. It’s a rip off and the quality of football is generally poor. If I wasn’t forced as a season ticket holder to pay full price for these games, I wouldn’t. But, I have to and with a $92 price tag per ticket plus $35 for a parking pass, I can not afford not to go. So, here I am…your humble West Coast Photo Correspondent.

This game featured the backup players of two of the NFL’s top teams, the Dallas Cowboys and the San Diego Chargers. Needless to say, it was a full house, as is usual when a glamour team such as the Cowboys come to town. Against my better judgment, I stayed until the end of the game and was rewarded with a 43 minute wait to get out the parking lot. I didn’t arrive home until after 1:00 AM in the morning. Living 134 miles from Qualcomm Stadium makes for a long day when the kick off is at 7:00 PM. Now I remember why I don’t like NFL preseason games. It’s a good thing IN-N-OUT Burger is open late.

To recap the game, the Cowboys stormed out to a 7 point lead as Tony Romo handed off to Deon Anderson (who?) for a one yard score. The Chargers took advantage of a Cowboys fumble on their second possession and promptly scored on a one yard TD run from rookie Jacob Hester (who?). Towards the end of the first quarter, the second teams for both squads came in and the remainder of the evening turned out to be a battle of the scrubs with the Chargers eventually prevailing 31-17. How’s that for excitement.

Although the football was mediocre, at least the cheerleading was worth the price of admission. Yes, the Charger Girls are worth every penny. And to tell you the truth, I was quite eager to see the new squad since many of my favorite Charger Girls from last season had retired and I need to find a replacement or two to fill the void. With an unusually high number of rookies, would this crop of Charger Girls maintain the tradition of beauty and excellence of past squads? Well, see for yourself.


Charger Girls

Charger Girls


As is customary, let’s start out our parade of Charger Girls with this year’s Line Captains: Summer, Rebecca, Constance and Katrina.


Charger Girls

Charger Girls

Charger Girls

Charger Girls


Fourteen veterans return from last year’s squad. So, let’s take a look at a few returning veterans: Marlina, Ashley M., Gail, Marisa and Heather.


Charger Girls

Charger Girls



Charger Girls

Charger Girls

Charger Girls


It was nice to see all the returning veterans, but I was really eager to see the new rookies, particularly their reaction to performing on the sidelines for the first time. So, here’s a sampling of the newest Charger Girls: Jennifer, Giselle, Breann, Vanessa, Nicole M and Nicole L.


Charger Girls

Charger Girls

Charger Girls

Charger Girls

Charger Girls

Charger Girls


And here’s rookie Tonya, who previously cheered for the Arizona Cardinals and Washington Redskins.


Charger Girls


Another rookie that I had wanted to check out was Kortney, a former Chivas Girl and resident blonde bombshell.


Charger Girls


If my memory serves correctly, I believe we have a former USC Song Girl on this squad. I recognized Jacquelyn from her days gracing the sidelines at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. Now as an UCLA Alumnus, I am not known for my fondness of all things Trojan, but I do appreciate the USC Song Girls and their legacy of excellence. They have an iconic uniform, which is rather skimpy by college standards, but hey, I’m not complaining. However, as a Charger Girl, Jacquelyn really stands out with her flowing blonde hair and long legs that accentuate all that is remarkable about the Charger Girl uniform.


Charger Girls

Charger Girls


And I should mention the two other rookies that caught my eye, Jenny and Lindsay.


Charger Girls

Charger Girls


Let’s close out this week’s coverage with some photos of Summer, Jennifer, Kylette and Breann.


Charger Girls

Charger Girls

Charger Girls

Charger Girls


Near the end of the third quarter, I burnt out my external flash and had to resort to available light photography, which kind of sucks for a night game. These darn things can overheat and burn out the circuitry when taking a couple hundred flash photos in rapid succession. It’s a good thing I have a back up flash, so I can shoot the rest of the squad in two weeks at the next preseason game. Ah, the things I have to endure for our readers.


Well, it was nice to see the grizzled old vets and all the new fresh faces on this 2008 Charger Girl squad. I was very impressed with this squad. They gave a great performance and made enduring the typically boring preseason game more tolerable. I think Charger fans can be proud of this year’s version, which continues a long tradition of beauty and talent.

Labels: ,