<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Mademoiselle Alouette: Elizabeth 

Posted by Sasha at 5:15 PM ET



By Katherine Lalancette,
MontrealAlouettes.com
2008-06-30

At 25 years old, Elizabeth will get to perform her heart out on the field while cheering for the Alouettes for a fourth season this year.

But this is not the only time she spends on a field. As a member of the Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue Rugby Football Club for the past seven years, it has become her second home.

“My passion for rugby came once I retired from gymnastics,” explained Elizabeth. “An ex-gymnast suggested I try out for the high school rugby team. I had nothing better to do with my all my free time and I thought, ‘why not?’” She has been hooked ever since.

Quitting gymnastics, a discipline she had been training in for a decade, also led to her passion for dance. To keep active, she joined her sister’s dance classes and immediately fell in love. This eventually prompted her to audition for the Alouettes’ cheerleading squad a few years later.

“I never expected to make the team,” said Elizabeth. “I was really shocked the first year that I did!”

When she told her rugby teammates the news, they were all very supportive of her new career. As for her coaches, one of them sometimes pokes fun of her for being a cheerleader, but she knows he is only teasing.

“I think, for the most part, people just find it to be a very strange combo,” she said of rugby and cheerleading. “But I don’t think I’ll ever be able to choose just one.”

These two activities remain important hobbies for the young woman. The Concordia University graduate has a bachelor’s degree in finance and works full time as assistant portfolio manager at a private investment firm, although this is not what she had originally planned.

“I actually started of my university degree in management information systems,” explained Elizabeth. “I did one class that pertained to my major and walked right out and into the academic advisor’s office. I switched into finance that very same day and to this day, I’m very glad I did.”

She enjoys the number crunching and loves that her job allows her to exploit her strong organizational skills.

For Elizabeth, life is all about pursuing your passions. And for her, that means continuing to cheer for the Als for as long as possible.

“I love everything about being an Alouettes cheerleader. From the people and fans you meet to the game day experience, it’s truly indescribable. And the greatest thing is that it’s like a family and once you’ve been a part of it, you’ll always be a part of it.”

Labels: ,