<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Dance Academy is a Dream Come True 

Posted by James at 9:01 AM ET

By Mac McEntire
The Wilmington Advocate
Laura Osgood has two passions — dancing and teaching. She’s brought both of these to her hometown, starting her own dance studio on Main Street, with a grand opening today, Thursday, July 31, from 4-8 p.m.

“It’s something I’ve always dreamed of,” Osgood said. “I grew up here, I’ve always wanted to own my own dance studio here, and, now, this is my time.”

After months of planning, Osgood is opening the Wilmington Dance Academy, located at 442 Main Street, on the intersection of Main Street and Route 62, next to Cooke’s Skate Shop. The space features two large open studios and a reception area on its upper floor, and dressing rooms in the downstairs.

Osgood has been dancing since she was 6, she said, starting out at Broadway Dance in Tewksbury. She later studied at the New England School of Ballet, and went on to dance professionally for years, most notably as a New England Patriots Cheerleader.
“I decided I’d had enough traveling,” she said.

Laura Osgood

Instead, Osgood said she looks forward to using her skills to teach others to dance.

“I love teaching,” she said. “It’s so rewarding to see the kids’ progress.”

The studio will feature classes for all ages, Osgood said, beginning with a “mommy and me” class for parents with 18-month-olds that emphasizes basic movement, to ballroom dancing for adult couples. In between, students can learn ballet, jazz, tap, modern, hip hop, pilates, and more.

“I want it to be a versatile school,” Osgood said. “It will be well-rounded, covering all aspects of dance.”

Several summer dance camps are already planned for August, including “The Dancers Club,” featuring a different style each day, a “Kicks, Jumps and Turns” camp, a “Storytime” camp that combines dance with crafts and other activities, ballroom dancing for adults, and a “Hairspray” camp, using the music and moves from the hit movie. Dates, times and costs are listed at WilmingtonDanceAcademy.com.

“I want the kids to learn the technique of dance and have fun at the same time,” she said. “That’s the most important thing, to have fun.”

Along with this week’s grand opening, Osgood said she plans to hold two open houses in the near future.

“It’s a chance for people to stop in, meet me and the other teachers, and check out the space,” Osgood said.

While Osgood plans to teach classes herself, she’s also hired four other teachers to help out.

“There are two studios,” she said. “I can’t be in both at once, no matter how much I’d like to.”

Osgood started work on the site in May, remodeling, painting, and decorating the entire space, in preparation for this week’s opening.

“We’ve been working away at it for so long, I’m ready to teach now,” she said. “I can’t wait to start doing what I love.”

Osgood lives in Wilmington with her husband Adam, and their two daughters Carlena, 3, and Mollie, 2.

Labels: , ,