Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Naples woman earns spot on Miami Dolphins cheerleading squad 

Posted by Sasha at 7:48 PM ET

Daily Newsstaff
Naples News
Saturday, April 12, 2008

Three cheers for Desiree Hernandez.

The Naples resident earned one of 42 spots Saturday on the Miami Dolphins cheerleading squad.

The 20-year-old Hernandez, a Gulf Coast High graduate and mass communications major at Edison College, tried out for the first time after making it through last Saturday’s open auditions at Dolphin Stadium, where 123 ladies showed up. Hernandez performed dance routines and kick lines for the 10 judges who initially were tasked with whittling down the number of candidates to 56.

"I’ve been working out and I’ve been ready for this for a couple of months," said Hernandez, who was born in Miami and moved to Naples with her family when she was in middle school. "I went to the Miami-Dallas game and I watched those girls dance and got so overwhelmed that after I left that game, I told my mom I wanted to try out. I’ve been working out ever since and I’m still here, so hopefully I can make Naples proud."

Labels: , ,