Saturday, March 08, 2008

Storm Dancer Profile - Charlyne 

Posted by Sasha at 12:58 PM ET


Name: Charlyne H.
Age: 20

Years With the Squad: 3 seasons, 1st as captain

Hometown: I was born in Melbourne, FL then at the age of 7 I moved to Naples, Italy for three years (because my step-father is in the military), then to Washington D.C. for another three years, then finally here to Tampa, where I hope to stay!

Day Job: I’m in my third year at the University of Tampa, majoring in Business Management with a minor in Marketing. I hope to one day manage and/or conduct market research for a well-established business/organization. I’m also a dance coach at an all-stars gym where I coach senior hip-hop, youth hip-hop, and a mini jazz team, as well as teach a parent/adult hip hop class. So basically I teach anyone from the age of 3 to about 50-plus.

Favorite Charity: Big Brothers Big Sisters; In high school I joined the Leo club because it supported this charity, by which we had adopted an elementary school that had less fortunate children . Each Leo Club member was given a child for the whole school year to have as their “little brother or sister.” Being the only child, I’ve always wanted a sibling so this was a very exciting opportunity for me. I often wrote my little brother and he would write me back the sweetest notes or draw me a picture. For Christmas, I went over to his school and gave him presents, and to this day I can still remember the gratitude and excitement in his eyes.

Q: What part of being a Storm dancer provides the greatest thrill?
A: GAME DAYS! Interacting with the fans before and after the games is exhilarating. They are so passionate about the game and being entertained by us, that it makes me enjoy being on the team that much more!

Q: Dancing and cheering can be kind of tough. What's the worst injury you've ever had?
A: Luckily, I’ve never had a broken bone (knock on wood)! But yes, dancing is tough! I’ve attended a professional dance camp called Pro-dance for the past two summers, where you learn many different routines from well known professional choreographers. The camp is three days, and you dance from about 8 in the morning until about 6 at night, with several breaks of course; by the second day every muscle in my body down to my toes was aching and sore, making it difficult to just walk better yet dance. Even with all the aches and pains, the camp is a very enjoyable experience, allowing you to interact and share your passion for dance with many other girls from different professional and college dance teams.

Q: If you could play any position in football, what would it be and why?
A: It would have to be wide receiver, because they are the ones that often score the touchdowns! I’m a very competitive person so I know that I would do anything to get the ball down the field.

Q: Who's your favorite Storm player and why?
A: They are all my favorite! However, I have to give Brett Dietz kudos for (being 2007) Co-Rookie of the Year. He did an amazing job coming onto the team as a rookie and helped to turn around the season. It isn’t easy being a quarterback, always under pressure, and being the target for these huge padded-up players.

Q: Besides dancing, what are your other hobbies?
A: I enjoy the typical girlie things like shopping (lots of it), spending time with family and friends, the beach, and most of all resting when I can!

Q: What made you want to dance for the Storm?
A: My senior year in high school, a friend invited me to a game and that was the first time I was exposed to arena football ... and I absolutely enjoyed it. It wasn’t until that day that I was aware they had a dance team and ever since then my goal was to make the team, so here I am!

Labels: ,