Monday, December 10, 2007

Running the New York City Marathon 

Posted by James at 7:33 AM ET

Last month a couple of Knicks City Dancers and a pair of Rockettes teamed up to run in the New York Marathon to raise money and awareness for the Garden of Dreams Foundation

From the Knicks Website
Knicks City Dancers Amanda Rebisz and Michelle Caputo and Radio City Rockettes Jaime Windrow and Jacey Lambros (former NJ Nets Dancer) will run the NYC Marathon on November 4 to raise money and awareness for the Garden of Dreams Foundation, which helps children in the tri-state area who are suffering from devastating illness, homelessness, abuse, hunger, extreme poverty and tragedy. Fans interested in supporting the Garden of Dreams Foundation and helping the Knicks City Dancers and Rockettes run for a special cause may contribute online through GardenofDreamsFoundation.org.

Knicks City Dancers
Michelle and Amanda

MetroSportsNY.com did a little Q&A with Michelle and Jacey before the race:
Michelle Caputo, 21

Day Job: Co-Captain of the Knicks City Dancers

Michelle, Knick City Dancer

Lives: Staten Island, N.Y.

What do you love and what do you hate about running?

I love the adrenaline rush that I feel when running. Also, the increased stamina was noticeable after a few weeks. In the long run, I hope to obtain a “runner’s body.” Getting started was tough to do, especially before my body adjusted to the soreness. It’s tough to dance when your legs hurt that much!

Is it difficult to fit in long runs with a rigorous rehearsal schedule?

It could be, but just as in any exercise program, you have to make the time. It is always easier to find an excuse as to why you can’t fit exercising into your schedule, but you have to dedicate yourself and make it a point to stick to a regimen. I find that establishing specific times throughout any given week helps.

How does running help your day job?

The increased stamina is the biggest benefit. It has really helped me get through those long rehearsals and to keep my energy up from beginning to end. Aside from that, the strengthening of my leg muscles is noticeable.

What’s your goal for NYC in 2007?

Since I haven’t run a marathon before, I just want to finish. The time that it takes to complete is not a concern. As long as I’m still standing when I reach the finish line, I’ll be very happy!

Where is your favorite place to run?

I like to run outside, in a park, close to home. I’m not a big fan of treadmills, I always feel like I’m going to be the one who will fall off! I don’t think I’d be able to deal with that kind of embarrassment!

Jacey Lambros, 26

Day Job: Rockette

Lives: Jersey City, N.J. Native of Oneonta New York

How long have you been a runner? And what got you into running?

I would only consider myself a runner as of recently. I began running last year with Team In Training to fundraise for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I was inspired by my vocal instructor who at 50 + years old ran her first marathon.

How does running help your day job?

Right now, pre-season, my main job is preparing my body for the Radio City Christmas Spectacular. That being said, running has put me in top shape and built up my endurance stronger than ever.

Is this your first marathon?

Yes, this will be number one for me.

What’s your goal for NYC in 2007?

Not to crawl across the finish line. Only kidding! I just want to finish and finish feeling good.

What’s your favorite fuel food?

Peanut butter and bananas, but I don't like them together.

Where is your favorite place to run?

My family resides in Oneonta, N.Y., (city of the hills). It is my favorite place to train because of the intervals that the hills create. Plus, the air is so fresh and crisp in the evening.

Michelle finished with a time of 4:20:48 and Amanda finished with a time of 6:02:33. I couldn't find a result for Jacey.

Labels: , , ,