<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, December 01, 2007

Cow About That!
City Girl on Famed Cheer Team 

Posted by James at 9:02 AM ET

Brookes Merritt
The Edmonton Sun
Last night's NFL tilt between the Dallas Cowboys and Green Bay Packers was one for the record books - and not just because it's been 17 years since two teams with 10-1 records faced off against one another.

Considering the millions of viewers who took in the game, it was probably the first time in history so many men ogled a little brown-haired bombshell from Edmonton.

Fellas, meet Candice Carr: a real life Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader.

Can you believe her childhood nickname was Dork?

The 26-year-old is originally from Edmonton but moved to Dallas a few years ago to marry her sweetheart, a Dallas-based travel agency owner she met working as a dancer on a cruise ship.

She was first introduced to international audiences last year as a fan favourite in CMT's reality TV series Making the Team, which documented the Cowboys Cheerleading tryouts.
Candice Carr, Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader
She was the last one cut - the day before they were set to take a squad photo.

"It was the hardest thing I'd ever done and getting cut was a big ego bash. I wasn't going to try out again this year but I'm glad I did," she said.

Over 1,000 women applied to make the famous cheerleading squad this year. Carr is one of 38 who made the cut.

"There's always going to be some cattiness and drama, but for the most part we all get along pretty good. I think we all realize how lucky we are to be cheerleaders for the Dallas Cowboys. It doesn't get much better than this."

Cowboys cheerleading is a part-time gig and squad members are required to maintain a full-time job or be a full-time student.

Carr, who got her interior design diploma in Montreal, works full-time with a Dallas-based design firm. She is expected to look just as good going to work as she does on the sidelines.

"Even if I'm walking down the street to the video store, I have to make sure my hair is done and my (makeup) is on. It's a change for me, especially being a Canadian - we're so laid back and outdoorsy."

Cowboys Cheerleaders only earn $50 a game but Carr said the attraction of the job isn't the money - it's the attention.

"We do get sponsorship deals on things like makeup and tanning and so on, and we also get paid for public appearances and autograph sessions. But it's about more than that, it's about the entertainment we bring the fans. It's kind of like being a mini-celebrity."

She's thankful her husband isn't the jealous type.

"He knows (the male attention) is part of the job. He supports me. It's not going to last forever and I want to enjoy it while I can."

As for Edmonton, which is small compared to the six million people in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, Carr said she still misses River City.

"Especially my family and friends. I can't picture myself being in Dallas forever and I'd like to move back home eventually, but for now the cheerleading gig is awesome."

Labels: ,