Monday, December 17, 2007

Clear Fork graduate dances for the Crew 

Posted by Sasha at 10:24 PM ET

News Journal

MANSFIELD -- Kayla Cole, 20, had no dance experience.

But that didn't keep the 2005 Clear Fork High School graduate from making the Columbus Crew's paid professional dance team, the Crewzers.

Cole was a cheerleader and gymnast, but had never taken a dance lesson.
"I went up there not thinking anything of it," she said of trying out for the Major League Soccer team's dance squad. "There were quite a few girls that tried out. I've never been a dancer in my whole life. That's why I'm shocked."

Cole, who lives in Lexington, was a cheerleader in high school and cheered for the basketball team at The Ohio State University-Mansfield.

"It all goes together," she said of cheerleading, gymnastics and dance. "You've got to be fit."

The OSU-Mansfield dental hygienist major said she attended her first practice Monday.

"It was tough," she said. "We practiced three to four hours and learned basic dances."

According to the Crew's Web site, www.thecrew.com, the Crew-zers are the premier dance team in the soccer league.

They give two performances at each Crew home game. Their pregame and halftime dances vary from hip-hop and jazz, to kick and pom-pom styles.

The Crew's season begins March 29, Cole said.

"I just want to have fun and enjoy it," she said. "And, I can put the professional experience on my resume. That will help if I decide to try out for another dance team."

Labels: , ,