Monday, December 24, 2007

Celtics Dancer Diary - Michelle 

Posted by Sasha at 4:02 PM ET

Boston Celtics
December 6, 2007

What a season to be a part of the Boston Celtics franchise!

Let me start by introducing myself. I’m Michelle (yes, you probably guessed this already), and this is my second year with the Celtics Dancers. I grew up in Massachusetts, but before last year had never been to a Celtics game. And here’s what I discovered last season--Celtics fans give all other fans a run for their money. Not only are they devoted, but they’re Bostonians, and what better breed is there?

With fans, of course, come questions. There are a number of questions that, being a Celtics Dancer, I get asked quite frequently. Some of the perhaps less original questions have come to include, “How old are you,” “Are you on MySpace,” and “What’s you’re sign?”

To those who ask our age, I have to believe that your mother taught you better than to ask a woman her age. To those who ask about MySpace--this may be the new age “What’s your sign”--no, I’m not; the news articles scared me off. And, yes, my apologies to the gentleman who thought he was being refreshingly witty by asking me my sign; you’re actually not the first person to ask.

I’m a Libra, by the way.

However, one of the questions I love is, “What is it like to dance for a winning team?” This question is inevitably followed by some form of snicker, awkward laugh or wink.

In case you hadn’t noticed, we've always been a winning team--16 World Championships! Sure, it’s been a few years since our last banner, but I’d like to chance being cheesy for a moment: With passion and tradition like ours, win or lose, it always feels like we’ve won (insert dramatically tearing eye here).

Okay, cheesiness aside, I cannot deny the boost KG and Ray Allen have given the team, so I’ll take a chance and rephrase the question: “What is it like dancing for the Celtics this season?”

You know when you take cold medicine on an empty stomach and everything gets all foggy and surreal? Mix that feeling of escaping reality with a really corny sports comeback film and you’ve pretty much described opening night at the TD Banknorth Garden. It’s odd to think that only a few months back I was sulking around seeking sympathy for our fifth-pick status.

Now, there is no better way to put it: “We’re back.”

Now that I’ve answered some of the more common questions, I want to hear from you! What do you want to know about the Celtics Dancers? Do you need advice and think a Celtics Dancer would know best? Maybe you just want to give me feedback?

Send me your thoughts, and remember... don't be shy!

Labels: , ,