<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, November 05, 2007

Then and Now – Charger Girl Ashley W. 

Posted by David Allen Tyau at 6:00 AM ET

This is the first article in a new series depicting veteran Charger Girls then and now. It is somehow fitting that I begin this series with Ashley W., for it is because of her that I am involved in photographing the Charger Girls for this blog.


In 2004, I was approached by a woman at a Charger game. She noticed that I was taking photographs and asked if I would take a few of this one Charger Girl. She informed me that this particular girl was her daughter and asked if I could snap a few pics and send them to her. Needless to say, I was taken aback at first, not wanting to show up on a Dateline NBC episode. But this proud mom was very excited for her daughter and I was convinced it would be okay. As it turned out, the Charger Girl was Ashley W. and the lady I had spoken with was her mother, Susan.


Over the next few weeks, I took several photographs of my new favorite Charger Girl, Ashley, and after the season, I sent her a CD of images for her and her family to enjoy. A few days later, I received a very nice thank you letter and the next year Susan came down to thank me in person. That season, I took several more photographs of Ashley and the rest of the Charger Girls. At the end of the year, I sent her another CD along with a CD of Charger Girl photos for the rest of the squad to enjoy.


It was about this time that I had also started sending an online acquaintance some Charger Girl photos to share with his blog readers. That person was James. One of my first submissions was an article on how to photograph cheerleaders from an aesthetic point of view. Other submissions were just photographs I had taken that particular week. Soon, I started to add some commentary and it has evolved into what it is today, a regular article of sorts.


Writing for the blog has been very gratifying. I have had the opportunity to meet some very nice Charger Girls and have corresponded with several online friends that I have met because of this endeavor. So, it’s been a very positive experience the last few years and all due to a chance encounter with a proud mom of rookie Charger Girl.


Well, without further ado, Ashley W. then and now.


2004 – Rookie Season


Ashley W, San Diego Charger Girl

Ashley W, San Diego Charger Girl

Ashley W, San Diego Charger Girl

2005


Ashley W, San Diego Charger Girl

Ashley W, San Diego Charger Girl

Ashley W, San Diego Charger Girl

Ashley W, San Diego Charger Girl


Yes, that’s Charger Girl Director Lisa Simmons in the back ground.


2006


Ashley W, San Diego Charger Girl

Ashley W, San Diego Charger Girl

Ashley W, San Diego Charger Girl

Ashley W, San Diego Charger Girl


2007


Ashley W, San Diego Charger Girl

Ashley W, San Diego Charger Girl


I must say, though, before I started photographing Ashley, I never thought that abs were sexy. Go figure. Men…we learn something new everyday.


Well, that’s it. I hope you have enjoyed this photo essay and perhaps it may inspire other people to submit their photos of their favorite cheerleaders, then and now.

Labels: ,