<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Miss Argo 2007 Finalists: Haylie 

Posted by Sasha at 7:23 AM ET

Toronto Argonauts: The finalists for Miss Argo 2007 have written a short piece on what it means to them to be a member of the Blue Thunder, as well as a finalist for Miss Argo. The final round of voting for Miss Argo begins this week - email missargo@argonauts.on.ca with your vote for who should be crowned Miss Argo 2007!

Here is the entry from Haylie:

This seems funny. I am currently writing to tell all the fans of the Toronto Argonauts why I should be Miss Argo 2007 and, to tell you the truth, it all seems rather ironic. Growing up, I would have been more likely to be crowned Miss Centerfield or Miss MVP but definitely not Miss Argo 2007. However, I think now looking at the true definition of what it takes to hold this title, it seems a little more realistic. To some people, going to a football game is just a fun, entertaining way to spend a Saturday afternoon. For me, it has shaped the person I am today. My whole life, I have enjoyed going to sporting events but, for me, it wasn’t just entertainment; it happens to be my passion.

I have worked closely with BOOST! (formerly the Toronto Child Abuse Centre) as they raise money for children of our community. It has taught me that taking a few moments of your day to lend a hand can make a world of a difference. This stemmed from the influence of my coaches over the years who took time out of their week for me and taught me the importance of giving back and I do just that. I have been coaching soccer for 5 years now, and for 3 years have been the Vice-President of the U of T Athletic Council.

With all of this said, this is why I hope you vote… because I feel I can carry on this title with pride. While I may not be the tiara type - cleats and tiaras tend to clash - I truthfully believe little girls need an athlete to look up to. Sports teaches determination, teamwork, perseverance and above all else, the ability to have fun! What better characteristics for this year’s Miss Argo to pass down than those?!

Haylie

Labels: , ,