<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Brevard's Magic Dancers 

Posted by James at 6:13 PM ET

By Ed Pierce
Florida Today
The regular season is just days away, not only for the Orlando Magic’s players but also for two Brevard County women who are part of the NBA team’s dance squad.

Lacey Drohan, 21, a graduate of Astronaut High School, and Kimberly Cole, a 35-year-old mom who graduated from Eau Gallie High School in 1990, will be on the court when the Magic open Oct. 31 against Milwaukee.

Both women credit long hours and steadfast determination for making the 19-dancer team.

"It is probably no surprise to the teachers and students who knew me in high school that dancing is still very much a part of my life," Cole said.

Both women are dance instructors in Brevard County, and both are no rookies when it comes to major-league sports dance teams.

This is Cole’s second season on the Magic’s sidelines, and Drohan was a member of the "Roar," the Jacksonville Jaguars cheerleaders.

To make the squad, the woman had to stand out from a group of 36 finalists in a weeklong competition at Downtown Disney's Pleasure Island Motion nightclub and survive final cuts from a celebrity panel of judges.

Magic Dancers
Lacey Drohan (left), 21, a graduate of Astronaut High School, and Kimberly Cole, a 35-year-old mom who graduated from Eau Gallie High School in 1990, will be on the court when the Magic open Oct. 31 against Milwaukee.


Drohan said the whole experience was made easier by her family’s support.

"My fiancee Brett Lindell is a United States Marine and couldn't be more supportive," Drohan said. "He always offers as much help with encouragement to reach my goals and very helpful with staying in shape. He's my No.1 fan.’’

Not surprisingly, Cole’s top fan is a family member, too.

My family is absolutely thrilled that I am a part of the Orlando Magic Dancers," Cole said. "My husband is my greatest supporter and my biggest fan.

"My 10-year-old daughter is my 'littlest' biggest fan. They both enjoy attending as many Magic games as they can and cheering on not only the basketball team, but for me as well."

As members of the Magic dance team, the woman couple appear at more than 250 events in Central Florida over the next year.

You can check out the 2007-08 Orlando Magic Dancers at their redesigned online home here.

Labels: , , ,