Monday, September 17, 2007

2007 Clippers Spirit 

Posted by Sasha at 7:50 AM ET

I'm always excited to post an update on my favorite NBA dance team, the Los Angeles Clippers Spirit. Theoretically, I'm supposed to be neutral and not play favorites. (Although I'm sure those of you who have been with us for a while have noticed that certain teams have been very very good to us.) I don't know exactly where the no-favoritism rule came from - but I'm making an exception. Because I feel like it, ok?

Anyway, as I was saying, we've got new scoop on the Clippers Spirit. The Clips site has been updated with lots of great new photos, bios, and little-known facts about the dancers. Click here to read up.

Lynae works in the data quality control department of a car dealership in Southern California, and used to take flying lessons.

Whitney is a kiddy-garden teacher who is also a regular participant in Disneyland's Parade of Dreams.

I don't know why, but all of a sudden I have the urge to sing "Whitney Whitney bo bitney. Banana fanna fo fitney. Me my mo mitney. Whitney!"

Sorry. I have no idea where that came from.

Alex is a former competitive gymnast and recently returned from a trip to Kenya where she worked with children orphaned by AIDS.

Kelley works on the management team for her family's business. She is also a self-confessed pool shark, so consider yourselves warned.

Shannon - another kindergarten teacher. She spends her summers traveling, teaching dance, and choreographing new dances all over the place.

Nicole is from the OC, and joins the Clippers fresh off her stint as a Boston Celtics Dancer. Oh look - that's her! She also works in real estate. (Nicole, if you can find me a 2 bdrm condo in the Los Angeles area for less than $350k, we need to talk. Call me, girl!)

(Incidentally, I know the whole "the OC" thing is so over. Be glad you weren't here a while back when there was a fire in Malibu and people started calling it "the 'Bu." Gross, right? I think Suzanne Somers' house burned down. Not that any of this is relevant.)

Ashley R. is majoring in child development and plans to become - you guessed it - a kindergarten teacher. (Personally, I'd like to know where this whole young, fun teacher thing came from. My kindergarten teacher, Ms. Pitt, was a nice lady, but she was about a thousand years old and not even remotely hip.) Ashley also used to dance for Chivas USA. (Which I think means she's also fluent in EspaƱol.)

Brittany is new to the team this year. She graduated at the top of her high school class and is currently a full-time student. She's leaning toward studying medicine, but for now, she's teaches dance part-time.

Kristin is a 4th year veteran and team captain. Dance is a major factor in this lady's life. She's working toward a master's degree in dance/sports entertainment and has a ton of professional performance experience under her belt, including film, television, teaching, and performing abroad.

First thing I have to say about Taylor - and I totally do not mean this in a condescending "I want to pat you on the head and buy you an ice cream cone" kind of way - but the girl is adorable. Seriously. And not even in a "you're so cute, it's annoying" kind of way. Which, in itself is kind of annoying. I think?

I have no idea what I just said.

Aside from that, Taylor has a degree in radiologic technology. Her career has something to do with radio waves and phrases like "Computed Tomography"and "Magnetic Resonance." I don't know what these things are, but I'm a little frightened.

Ashley S. recently graduated from college on the east coast, packed her bags, and headed west in pursuit of the California Dream. Looks like she's off to a good start! Also, last year she was a Philadelphia Eagles Cheerleader.

Harmony is a Michigan transplant who has been dancing in the NBA for 6 years. This is her third year with the Clippers. Before that, she was a member of the Pistons' Automotion dance team. Harmony is a licensed cosmetologist, currently working as a hairstylist, and working out like crazy during her free time.

Stay tuned for info on the remaining six girls on the team. No bios for them yet, but I know they're a' comin.

Labels: ,