Sunday, June 17, 2007

Beyond the pom-poms: Ellen 

Posted by Sasha at 8:48 PM ET

May 15, 2007

1. What are you up to now?
Since hanging up my pom-poms, I have kept myself very busy working full time as a dental assistant at a local dentist office. In March of 2001, my husband, Howard, and I were blessed with our first child, a beautiful daughter we named Whitley. At that time, I returned to work part time two days a week while the grandparents were able to spend valuable time with her during my work hours, and I was able to be mommy on my days off. In June of 2003 the arrival of our bouncing baby boy, Holton, made our family complete. He is a bundle of energy and keeps us on our toes.

2. What was your most memorable moment as a TopCat?
I have many wonderful memories of being a TopCat. Going to the Pro Bowl was amazing and laughing with all the girls at practices are great memories. Becoming a captain was quite an honor as well, but my overall favorite memory is making the original squad. Those girls were the best, and I will never forget the feelings of accomplishment that we experienced. Thank you, TopCats!

3. Do people still give you that "I know her from somewhere" look?
Occasionally someone gives me that look or even asks me if I used to cheer. My kids get a big kick out of it when their mommy does get recognized.

4. What do you miss the most from your TopCats experience?
What I miss most is game day! I loved the look...the costume, make-up, glitz, glitter and hair. The anticipation of a big game is an experience that I will never forget.

5. During Super Bowl XXXVIII, I was…
What a great ride that was! Our daughter was about to turn three years old and our son was eight months. The challenge that night was managing bedtimes, feeding and our son’s diaper changes during timeouts so we didn’t miss any of the action! The night before, we bravely hosted a sleepover with (fellow former TopCat) Regina's four-year old girl and one-year old boy while she and her husband went to Houston for the big game. That Sunday morning we courageously took all four children to church with us.

6. When at games now, who do you watch more, the players or the current TopCats?
Although I love Panthers football, I definitely spend more time watching the TopCat!

7. If I could give a current TopCat advice, it would be…
Just have fun, enjoy every moment and don’t be nervous. This experience is so amazing, and I was so lucky to be a part of it.

8. How many games do you go to or watch on TV?
My husband and I attend at least two games every year, but we never miss a game on TV. We are looking forward to taking our children to games in the near future.

9. How has your experience with the TopCats benefitted you today?
I believe that my self confidence has soared as a result of being a TopCat. I think I'm a much stronger person with amazing friendships, family and a strong faith.

10. What do you miss the most about the TopCats?
The entire experience. I miss the girls, the game day atmosphere, the roar of the crowd, the cheers and applause and being a member of the TopCats team and part of the Panthers organization. Thank you, Panthers!

Labels: , ,